A non-traditional bird house creation by Wanda Dunn of Penn Valley took the Best of Show award for the gingerbread house contest held in conjunction with the 2012 Country Christmas Faire held at the Nevada County Fairgrounds November 23 through 25. The gingerbread birdhouse was a traditional shape but was unusual in its use of decoration materials, which included three type of rice, green peas, various seeds and grains, cranberries, popped popcorn, pink peppercorns, and rosemary. “It has a realistic organic look to it and was fun and challenging to create, “ said Dunn. It will be on display at the South Yuba Club in Grass Valley for a week, then at Tess’ Kitchen Store through most of December.
- Rough and Ready man charged with attempted murder
- 'Fracking' topic of informational meeting in Grass Valley
- Cherished chapel of love: New owners of Rough and Ready wedding chapel seek to keep tradition alive
- Police blotter: Bears reported at bird feeder
- UPDATE Yuba County fatality: 1 dead in wreck on Highway 49, driver will face 2nd-degree murder charge