A trio of alert neighbors rescued a dog from a burning house — and helped prevent the spread of the fire to the garage and surrounding properties Thursday afternoon.
Eighteen-year-old Lucas Wade-Jordan was the first to notice something amiss with the residence behind his mother’s house on East Drive, off Rough and Ready Highway. According to his mother, Cheryl Wade, he heard a beeping noise and looked over to see smoke.
Puzzled, Wade-Jordan asked his older brother — Trevor Wade-Vannucci, 22 — if it was a burn day, then said, “I think that house is on fire.”
The brothers, along with friend Terry Honea, 29, hopped the fence to investigate, then relayed information on the blaze back to Wade, who called 911 and who threw them some garden hoses to fight the fire.
“I broke a window to look for anyone who might be inside,” Wade-Vannucci said.
“I saw a dog on the ground and I just grabbed it by the scruff of the neck and threw it over the broken glass. Luckily, I didn’t get cut up and the dog didn’t either.”
Honea opened the back door to make sure no one was inside the residence, Wade said.
The tenant arrived home after the fire started, Wade-Vannucci said, adding they were able to reassure him that his dog was OK.
All three men worked with other neighbors to hose down the area as much as they could, Wade said. The fire began to spread to a fence, but they were able to keep it from spreading into the attached garage, she added.
Firefighters from Grass Valley, Cal Fire, Nevada County Consolidated and Nevada City responded to the fire, which was reported at 3:40 p.m. The extent of the damage was not available as of press time.
To contact Staff Writer Liz Kellar, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (530) 477-4229.
“I saw a dog on the ground, and I just grabbed it by the scruff of the neck and threw it over the broken glass.”
— Trevor Wade Vannucci,