A chimney fire caused significant damage to a Nevada City home early Tuesday morning.
Nevada City firefighters responded to the residential structure fire in the 100 block of Grove Street at about 1 a.m., said Chief Sam Goodspeed.
The arrived to find a chimney fire extending into the attic, with smoke and flames coming from the eaves and the roof, he said.
Firefighters made entry into the home and also worked on the roof, creating vertical ventilation, Goodspeed said. Crew members also helped salvage the residents’ belongings.
Eight engines from Nevada City, Nevada County Consolidated, Grass Valley, Ophir Hill and Cal Fire responded. Higgins and Penn Valley covered fire stations in Grass Valley and Nevada City during the incident.
It took about an hour to contain the fire, Goodspeed said, saying about 25 percent of the structure was damaged.
The entire residence sustained heavy smoke and water damage, as well.
Three residents were home, but everyone got out safely, Goodspeed said, adding he believed all their pets were accounted for, as well.
The cause was determined to have been the flue box catching on fire and extending into the chimney.
“This is a reminder to have flues cleaned annually to avoid similar situations,” Goodspeed said.
To contact City Editor Liz Kellar, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 530-477-4229.