R.L. Crabb, cartoonist for The Union, and Virginia Brunini man a table Saturday to collect signatures for a petition to keep Empire Mine open as a state park. A California State Senate subcommittee recently voted to consider selling the park due to an annual $5 million expenditure by the Department of Parks and Recreation to operate the park. A substantial portion of that money goes for remediation efforts to eliminate toxic run-off from the mining operation last conducted more than 50 years ago. Brunini said that the effort to collect signatures for the petition will continue until April 28.
- UPDATE: Body ID'd as Donald Mark Ormsby, 51
- UPDATE: Foresthill fire now burning at 650 acres, 5% contained (VIDEO)
- Grass Valley Development Review Committee to review plans for hotel, brewery
- Authorities identify 2 men in unrelated fatal crashes
- Medical marijuana committee discusses proposed grow regulations in Nevada County