Donna Reynolds
Special to The Union

Back to: News
March 21, 2014
Follow News

Early proprietors of The Union

In celebration of 150 years of continuous publication of The Union, the following chronology pertaining to the people at its helm, its homes and minor changes in flag (name) since its founding date of Oct. 28, 1864, have been restored to their proper places in Nevada County history.

Henry Meyer Blumenthal

Oct. 28, 1864, to March 2, 1865

Grass Valley Daily Union

Exchange Building (Corner Church and Main streets)

James William Emery Townsend

Oct. 28, 1864, to Nov. 5, 1864

Grass Valley Daily Union

Exchange Building (Corner Church and Main streets)

Henry C. Bennett

Nov. 19, 1864, to Jan. 27, 1865

Grass Valley Daily Union

Exchange Building (Corner Church and Main streets)

George Brown Shearer

Jan. 31, 1865, to April 2, 1865

Grass Valley Daily Union

Exchange Building (Corner Church and Main streets); Mill Street, opposite Smith & Ross’ Drug Store

Notes: The Union’s masthead changed to Blumenthal & Co. on Jan. 31, 1865, Solomon A. Shane and George Brown Shearer being the “& Co.” Shearer and Shane purchased Blumenthal’s interest on March 2, 1865. Paper relocated to Mill Street March 19 or 20, 1865

Solomon A. Shane

Jan. 31, 1865, to Feb. 6, 1866

Grass Valley Daily Union

Exchange Building (Corner Church and Main streets); Mill Street, opposite Smith & Ross’ Drug Store; Mill Street, over hardware store of Johnston’s & Co.

Notes: Paper relocated twice during his tenure, first on March 19 or 20, 1865, and next on Aug. 17, 1865.

William H. Miller

April 2, 1865, to July 17, 1866

Grass Valley Daily Union

Mill Street, opposite Smith & Ross’ Drug Store; Mill Street, over hardware store of Johnston’s & Co.

Benjamin Franklin Gywnn

May 14, 1866, to Oct. 22, 1866

Grass Valley Daily Union

Mill Street, over hardware store of Johnston’s & Co.

William Shea Byrne

Oct. 22, 1866, to April 2, 1870

Grass Valley Daily Union

Mill Street, over hardware store of Johnston’s & Co.

Notes: Purchased paper with Charles Henry Mitchell.

Charles Henry Mitchell

Oct. 22, 1866, to March 15, 1893

Grass Valley Daily Union

Mill Street, over hardware store of Johnston’s & Co.; Corner of Mill and Main streets, upstairs.

Notes: Purchased paper with William Shea Byrne. Relocated to corner of Mill and Main, upstairs, on Oct. 4, 1871.

Alonzo Gaylord Compton

March 21, 1882, to March 27, 1887

Grass Valley Daily Union

Corner of Mill and Main streets, upstairs

Notes: Operated in partnership with Charles Henry Mitchell.

Willard P. Calkins

March 16, 1893, to June 11, 1893

Daily Morning Union

Corner of Mill and Main streets, upstairs

Notes: Purchased paper with James C. Tyrrell. Changed name of paper immediately upon acquirement, March 16, 1893.

James C. Tyrrell

March 16, 1893, to June 11, 1893

Daily Morning Union

Corner of Mill and Main streets, upstairs

Notes: First Nevada County native to become proprietor of The Union.


Explore Related Articles

Trending in: News

The Union Updated Apr 30, 2014 01:05PM Published Jul 17, 2014 05:39PM Copyright 2014 The Union. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.