Strike it rich with gold panning and good times at South Yuba State Park’s Bridgeport
May 19, 2017
Stepping back into history at the South Yuba River State Park's Bridgeport Covered Bridge could pay off for those seeking to strike it rich by trying their hand with a gold pan this summer.
Learn from docents how the old 49ers used simple pans to find hidden treasure in the shallows of the Yuba River. After a panning demonstration, practice the technique in the troughs before heading down to the river to do your own prospecting.
Docents at Bridgeport provide step-by-step panning lessons, share stories about the history of our area, and describe other ways the precious metal was extracted during the California Gold Rush, such as hard rock mining and hydraulic mining. Gold panning is fun and educational for the entire family and kids get to keep the treasures they find in the troughs.
Docents offer gold panning demonstrations at Bridgeport from noon to 2 p.m. every weekend and holiday, beginning Memorial Day weekend, May 27 through Labor Day Weekend Sept. 4. Gold panning sessions for private groups and school talks can be arranged at other times by prior reservation.
Call the South Yuba River State Park for more information and private group reservations at 530-432-2546.
Stories You May Be Interested In
Trending In: Entertainment
- Railbus 97 restored and ready to ride at Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum
- Nevada County community comes together for Celebration of Trails 2017
- Hollie Grimaldi Flores: Many ways to be brave
- Yoga Bike Tour: New Nevada County event hits the road Saturday
- Mountain scenery, music & magic at Strawberry Music Festival in Grass Valley
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance