Peace Center’s Fourth Friday Film Forum screens ‘SEED’
May 17, 2017
SEED: The Untold Story will be featured at the Peace Center's Fourth Friday Film Forum this month.
The 2016 film was produced by Academy Award Winning Actress Marisa Tomei, Marc Turtletaub (Little Miss Sunshine) and Phil Fairclough (Grizzly Man, Cave of Forgotten Dreams). SEED shows 7 p.m. Friday, May 26, at The Open Book, 671 Maltman Drive, in Grass Valley.
The film features interviews with Vandana Shiva, Dr. Jane Goodall, Andrew Kimbrell, Winona Laduke and Raj Patel.
"Few things on Earth are as miraculous and vital as seeds," a news release on the screening states. "Seeds have been worshipped and treasured since the dawn of humankind. But, in the last century 94 percent of our seed varieties have disappeared. As biotech chemical companies now control the majority of our seeds, farmers, scientists, lawyers, and indigenous seed keepers fight a David and Goliath battle to defend the future of our food.
"In a harrowing and yet heartening story, these heroes rekindle a lost connection to our most treasured resource and revive a culture connected to seeds."
A discussion will follow the film, which is supported by $6-$10 suggested donations. Beverages and treats available for purchase.
Stories You May Be Interested In
Trending In: Entertainment
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- John Drew: The truth about Centennial Reservoir and the Bear River
- Railbus 97 restored and ready to ride at Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public