On the Reel: War Horse
December 1, 2016
Branagh Theatre Live: The Entertainer
Shows tonight, Thursday, Dec. 1 at 7:15 p.m. at Del Oro Theatre. Set against the backdrop of post-war Britain, John Osborne's modern classic conjures the seedy glamour of the old music halls for an explosive examination of public masks and private torment.
A Man Called Ove
Rated PG-13, running time 116 minutes. Shows Sunday, Dec. 4 at 7 p.m. at the Nevada Theatre. In Swedish with English subtitles. Stepping from the pages of Fredrik Backman's international best-selling novel, Ove is the quintessential angry old man next door. An isolated retiree with strict principles and a short fuse, who spends his days enforcing block association rules that only he cares about, and visiting his wife's grave, Ove has given up on life. Enter a boisterous young family next door and Ove has even more to complain about. Yet an unlikely friendship forms and we come to understand Ove's past happiness and heartbreaks. What emerges is a heartwarming tale of unreliable first impressions and the gentle reminder that life is sweeter when it's shared. "B+. It starts out gruff and unlikable. Then it opens up and becomes something of an epic about ordinary life, touching, funny and engrossing." – Tom Long, Detroit News.
National Theatre Live: War Horse (Encore)
Shows Wednesday, Dec. 7 at 7:15 p.m. at Sierra Cinemas. Since its first performance at the National Theatre in 2007, War Horse has become an international smash hit, capturing the imagination of millions of people around the world. Based on Michael Morpurgo's novel and adapted for the stage by Nick Stafford, War Horse takes audiences on an extraordinary journey from the fields of rural Devon to the trenches of First World War France. Filled with stirring music and songs, this powerfully moving and imaginative drama is a show of phenomenal inventiveness. At its heart are astonishing life-size puppets by South Africa's Handspring Puppet Company, who bring breathing, galloping, charging horses to thrilling life on stage.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Entertainment
- Musical ‘Chicago’ an absolute winner in Nevada City
- The baby self: How to work with children’s most annoying, yet necessary, behaviors
- The Psychedelic Furs to Perform
- ‘Best reward’: Grass Valley couple feeds community through Cosmic Roots Ranch
- It’s all about the spirit: Traditional Sufi Qawwali music returns to Nevada City
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Update: Juvenile smoking near the brush, arrested in connection to Auburn fire
- ATV theft takes strange turn, leads authorities from Newtown Road to Penn Valley Drive
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death