Alta Sierra veteran sentenced to 90 days for assault

A disabled ­Alta Sierra veteran was sentenced to 90 days in jail and three years probation after pleading no contest to assault with a deadly weapon.

Nicholas Joseph Severin, 36, was arrested after allegedly throwing knives at his son, then baiting law enforcement officers to shoot him in an April 2012 incident.

Severin’s 17-year-old stepson had called 911 to report his father was coming after him with a knife.

The boy told deputies his father had been punching his mother, and he tried to intervene. The two fought before the father grabbed some knives, then began throwing them at the boy.

After Nevada County Sheriff’s deputies arrived, Severin began making threats that he had a gun and threatened to shoot them. He charged the deputies, then tried to flee before being tased and arrested.

Severin reportedly is 100 percent disabled due to a neurological disorder and went into a detox program to be weaned off pain medication.

He took a plea agreement in return for three years probation and up to one year in county jail. The court noted at the time of the plea that pursuant to 1170.9 of the Penal Code, there might be alternatives to jail time as Severin is a combat veteran who is completely disabled.

In Nevada County Superior Court Thursday, it was noted that Severin had been attending outpatient treatment and has been attending an anger management program.

“He has made significant strides,” said Nevada County Deputy Public Defender Keri Klein, noting Severin has weaned himself off opiates prescribed for pain. “He has gone above and beyond.”

Judge Candace Heidelberger sentenced Severin to three years supervised probation and 90 days in jail; she noted he had 12 days credit as well as 30 days for inpatient treatment, adding that he can apply for alternative sentencing, such as electronic monitoring, for the balance of the time. She added that he must remain in the anger management program for a year.

Smith set to enter plea

in child sex case

A Grass Valley man arrested late last week on charges of sexual abuse of a child is set to enter a plea next week.

Samson James Smith, 41, allegedly had been molesting a girl younger than 14 over a number of years. He was arrested by Grass Valley Police officers March 8 and remains in county jail in lieu of $200,000 bail.

A felony complaint has been filed charging Smith with continual sexual abuse of a child younger than 14 with special allegations of substantial sexual contact and prison eligibility.

A public defender has been appointed to represent him, and he is set to enter a plea March 21.

To contact Staff Writer Liz Kellar, email lkellar@theunion.com or call 530-477-4229.


Explore Related Articles

The Union Updated Mar 16, 2013 01:26AM Published Mar 19, 2013 08:54AM Copyright 2013 The Union. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.