A non-traditional bird house creation by Wanda Dunn of Penn Valley took the Best of Show award for the gingerbread house contest held in conjunction with the 2012 Country Christmas Faire held at the Nevada County Fairgrounds November 23 through 25. The gingerbread birdhouse was a traditional shape but was unusual in its use of decoration materials, which included three type of rice, green peas, various seeds and grains, cranberries, popped popcorn, pink peppercorns, and rosemary. “It has a realistic organic look to it and was fun and challenging to create, “ said Dunn. It will be on display at the South Yuba Club in Grass Valley for a week, then at Tess’ Kitchen Store through most of December.
Bird house wins annual gingerbread house contest
Trending in: Activities & Events
- Green Screen Institute in Nevada County seeks applicants for virtual, augmented reality startup accelerator
- The Center for the Arts in Grass Valley launches membership drive
- '24' Hour Plays in Nevada City Wednesday aims to capture lightning in a bottle, again!
- 'Movies Under the Pines' series launches this month in Nevada County
- Study looks to quantify Nevada County's pot economy
- DA memo released in cases involving Nevada County narcotics officer
- Grass Valley wreck UPDATE: CHP officer rear-ended, flown to hospital
- In short supply: Inventory shortage drives Nevada County's tight housing market
- George Boardman: Virtual, augmented reality? We have plenty of experience in those areas