Young vocalists competition for InConcert Sierra
October 13, 2012
Cheer on and support the performances of eight young vocalists competing to win a $500 cash prize.
The Sierra Master Chorale presents a vocal competition at 2 p.m. Sunday for ages 12 to 21 in memory of vocal teacher Laura June Breen.
There will be three judges choosing the winner of the competition: Don Baggett, Dawn Simmons and Toon Vandevorst. The contest is performance based.
The contestants will be Jessica Cross, Cooper Hardwick, Daniel Heinz, Trevor Humpherys, Daniel McCord, Molly Stewart, Toby Thomas-Rose and Hannah Wellman. Cooper Hardwick and Trevor Humpherys are returning contestants.
The singers will each perform songs of two differing styles from genres of their choice, including Broadway, folk and classical. Each performer may be accompanied by an instrument of his or her choice, and piano accompaniment will be provided as needed by pianist Ken Hardin.
This is the second annual Sierra Master Chorale Laura June Breen youth vocal competition. Breen was a highly regarded music teacher in Nevada County who passed away two years ago. After her death, her son, Daniel Zuckerman, decided that her memory would best be served by inspiring a new wave of singers to find their voice and be given the opportunity to command the stage. InConcert Sierra and the Sierra Master Chorale were delighted to help Zuckerman's dream come true.
The event is sponsored by Reed Hamilton, owner of Rent-a-Box in Nevada County.
Tickets are $10 general admission. Tickets available at BriarPatch Co-op, Center for the Arts, online at http://www.inconcertsierra.org by calling (530) 273-3990, or at the door the day of the performance.
The Center for the Arts is located at 314 W. Main St. in Grass Valley.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- The Made in Tahoe Festival will be hosted at Squaw Valley on May 27-28, and celebrates all things Tahoe
- Patti Bess: ‘A little patch of paradise’ at Sweet Roots Farm in Grass Valley
- Denis Peirce: That’s how we troll — on Lake Almanor
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Organic farming going strong with next generation at Bakbraken Acres
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance