Westmont College Orchestra performs in GV
February 14, 2013
St. Joseph's Cultural Center presents the Westmont College Orchestra at 7 p.m. Saturday.
The Westmont College Orchestra, conducted by Dr. Michael Shasberger, performs original literature, transcriptions, and arrangements. Included in this are works for full orchestra, string orchestra and small ensembles. The study and practice includes various style periods and composers from the Renaissance through the 21st century. The orchestra performs two major independent concerts each semester, as well as a combined Christmas concert with the choral ensembles and a major works program in the spring with the College Choir. Typically, the orchestra is made up of about 60 student string players and a classical wind component with appropriate percussion and keyboard musicians. Faculty specialists coach each section of the orchestra, including Dr. Philip Ficsor (upper strings), John Sant'Ambrogio (lower strings) and Dr. Paul Mori (wind, brass and percussion).
The orchestra will perform from these selections: "Diemer's Violin Concert'"with feature soloist Dr. Philip Ficsor; "Quando m'en vo" from La Boheme; Sibelius' "Karelia Suite"; Elgar's "Pomp & Circumstance No. 4"; Ravel's "Pictures at an Exhibition"; and "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross," arranged by Daniel Gee.
Tickets are $10 at the door only at St. Joseph's Cultural Center, 410 S. Church St. (corner of Chapel Street). For information, call 530-272-4725 or visit http://saintjosephsculturalcenter.org.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Activities and Events
- ’80s stalwarts The Psychedelic Furs coming to Grass Valley in July
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- NCTV Talk: Thru the Lens gala set for Del Oro Theatre
- Summer movies for kids begins June 14 at Del Oro Theatre in Grass Valley
- Bow-Tie Beauties Uncensored: Burlesque show at Miners Foundry
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial