‘Vinyl virtuoso’ at Stonehouse Saturday
February 28, 2013
This Saturday, local "turntablist" Scott Nice, aka Scott Howard, performs as part of The Stonehouse's monthly Amusement Extravaganza in Nevada City.
The 33-year-old transplant from Rochester, N.Y., started manipulating records — scratching, beat juggling and beat matching — in 1997. As an avid hip-hop listener, producers and DJ's such as A-Trak, DJ Craze and DJ Premier eventually inspired Nice to learn the arts of turntablism and sample-based beat production himself.
Now a seasoned veteran, Nice is finally releasing his first EP, "Tribal Crunk," and getting ready to take the music world by storm along with three cohorts and their self-run label, Full Crate Records.
On Saturday, Nice as well as Dwnsampla will perform live sets, alongside local prog-rock trio This Is Radiation and three more electronic-based DJ's from Oakland: Tang Li Wheebs, Radical Edward and LA Tron. As usual, Amusement Extravaganza will also feature an assortment of games and craft activities, this month featuring Sock Puppet Karaoke.
The Stonehouse will open at 5 p.m. Music, crafts and games will go from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. Information can be found at http://motionrecordings.tumblr.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- Joseph Ward, accused of murder, appears in Nevada County Superior Court
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- CHP: Rough and Ready woman dies in ATV wreck
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville