April 4, 2014
As the number of visitors steadily increases every year for the annual 10,000 tulip event, Springtime At Ananda, so does the number of tulips planted.
Last year Crystal Hermitage Gardens hosted more than 5,000 visitors from as far away as Maine, steadily increasing attendance every year from the 500 visitors of the first year.
This year, approximately 13,500 Dutch tulip bulbs have been planted to guarantee the most spectacular display to date and a garden lover's paradise, according to Ananda.
In addition to the array of colorful tulips, Crystal Hermitage Gardens offers a rainbow of other seasonal flowers and blooming shrubs and trees overlooking the expansive view of the Sierra Nevada foothills, the Tahoe National Forest and the Yuba River.
Visitors are welcome to explore the upper terraced gardens and follow the meandering paths by pools, waterfalls, statuary, the award-winning chapel inspired by the Little Church of St. Francis in Assisi and down to the lower gardens and pool, which the rest of the year are open by appointment.
This family friendly event will also include weekend entertainment of instrumental music, singers, a PG Wodehouse play and other entertainment.
Recommended Stories For You
The maple scones will be served once again and visitors can reserve a spot for lunch at the Expanding Light Retreat, which also provides overnight accommodations.
Visitors can also picnic at Master's Market in downtown Ananda Village and relax on the village green for a leisurely afternoon.
Admission is $5 per person; children 12 and under are free; season passes are $15. Springtime at Ananda will be from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays, beginning this weekend and running through April 26-27.
Visitors and groups are also welcome weekdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. For directions, go to Ananda Village's website.
For more information, garden bloom updates and weekend activity schedules, visit: http://www.crystalhermitage.org.
Ananda Village was founded in 1968 and is one of the longest existing cooperative spiritual communities in the world.
Crystal Hermitage and the gardens are considered to be the 'spiritual heart' of Ananda Village.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- 1st ‘City of Light?’
- Best of the Fest: Outdoor screening revisits Nevada City Film Festival winners
- Bierwagen’s annual pumpkin patch brings families back out to the farm
- Denis Peirce: Despite disappointing salmon season, plenty of action on the Feather River
- Sierra Nevada snow causes huge, fatal crash
- UPDATE: I-80 re-opened after multi-vehicle wreck, fatality
- Cause of death confirmed for Bridgeport hiker
- Grass Valley police: Spray painted, stolen vehicle leads to arrest
- Running into trouble: Failed negotiations between canal-side property owner and Banner Mountain group spur lawsuit