Theater by the Book series continues Wednesday
June 18, 2013
On Wednesday, for one night only, Sierra Stages and Miners Foundry Cultural Center will present the comedy "Lettice and Lovage," as the third in it series of informal play readings titled "Theater by the Book."
The reading takes place at 7:30 p.m. at the Miners Foundry in Nevada City. Admission is free with a suggested donation of $10 to cover costs. There are no advance tickets. The doors open at 7 p.m. Refreshments will be available for purchase.
"Lettice and Lovage" is a comedy by Peter Shaffer, author of Amadeus and Equus. The story centers around a tour guide (named Lettice Douffet) who livens up her tours at one of England's most boring historical homes by inventing wildly theatrical "histories." She comes to the attention of her boss (Lottie Schoen) at the Preservation Trust. The meeting of the imaginative Lettice and the seemingly conventional Lottie leads to a most unconventional and riotous friendship. The original cast featured Dame Maggie Smith (as Lettice), for whom Shaffer wrote the play. The "Theater by the Book" cast includes Susan Mason (as Lettice), Lois Ewing (as Lottie) and Tinley Ireland and Scott Ewing in supporting roles. Jeffrey Mason directs.
"Lettice and Lovage" is the third play reading in the "Theater by the Book" series. The series takes a break over the summer when Sierra Stages presents the Tony Award-winning musical "Avenue Q" from July 10 through Aug. 3 at the Nevada Theatre and will return in September with Paul Zindel's "The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds," directed by Diane Fetterly.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Patti Bess: ‘A little patch of paradise’ at Sweet Roots Farm in Grass Valley
- The Made in Tahoe Festival will be hosted at Squaw Valley on May 27-28, and celebrates all things Tahoe
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- Denis Peirce: That’s how we troll — on Lake Almanor
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Nevada County donor pledges to match contributions to Hospitality House
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance