The Center showcases its artists, range at Open House
October 4, 2012
Regional arts in its many forms will be celebrated with The Center for the Arts free annual Open House beginning at 6 p.m. today. The evening includes the Gala Preview Reception for the 2012 Fall Colors Open Studios Tour and will showcase performing artists on the Center's main stage.
"The Center delivers amazing quality and variety of talent right here in your home town. We're building community through collaborations with dozens of nonprofit organizations," Center Executive Director Julie Baker said. "Now we are asking the community to join in. On average only 50 percent of our income comes from ticket sales and earned income, the rest comes from membership, underwriting and sponsorships."
Tonight's Open House — offered free to the public — will include Main Stage appearances by Scottish fiddle master Alasdair Fraser with a preview of his Oct. 11 concert. The Performing Arts Guild (PAG) will showcase its upcoming performance of "The Prince and the Pauper." Jamal Walker Band will perform an "unplugged" set. Celtic music by the String Sisters trio is on the line-up along with magic and illusions of Nick Fedoroff. Sierra Stages will perform a scene from their Off Center Stage production of "Assassins."
Support from members makes it possible for The Center to support music, theater, visual and literary arts in Nevada County.
"As the backbone of our organization, our members provide tremendous support to strengthen the presence of the arts in our community," Baker said.
Running for two consecutive weekends beginning Saturday, Open Studios Tour features 67 artists and 34 studios with exhibits, including paintings, photography, sculpture, furniture, ceramics, jewelry and more. The Center's gallery exhibition will include examples of each or the artists on the tour. The preview will be on exhibition at the Center for the duration of the tour. For information on the Open Studio Tour, see Page 3.
The Center for the Arts is located at 314 W. Main St. in Grass Valley. For information, go to http://www.thecenterforthearts.org.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Sierra Master Chorale and Orchestra spring concerts orchestrated to ‘lift, renew’ spirits
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Sierra Cinemas presents NT Live Edward Albee’s ‘Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?’
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- ’80s stalwarts The Psychedelic Furs coming to Grass Valley in July
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Lawsuit filed against Nevada County alleges wrongful jail death
- Could tiny houses fix a huge problem?: Homeless advocates respond to Nevada County’s plan
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later