TedxNevadaCity invites women to look up Friday
February 21, 2013
TEDxNevadaCity debuts Friday, featuring local speakers in an evening designed for women with school-aged children at the Haven Underground in Nevada City. The independently produced event from 7 to 10 p.m. Friday, operated under license from TED, is designed to encourage women to "look up" from their day-to-day routines and consider the possibilities of the next season of their lives. Speakers include Nevada City poet Kirsten Casey and local Full Life Yoga studio owner Elke Brown.
Local businesses J.J.Jackson, KitKitdizzie, InterWest Insurance Services and Harmony Books are involved with the event.
Tickets for Friday's event are $15 and limited to the first 100. They are available for purchase online at http://tedxnevadacity.wordpress.com.
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where "x" means independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized, subject to certain rules and regulations.
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. Started as a four-day conference in California 26 years ago, TED has grown to support those world-changing ideas with multiple initiatives. At TED, the world's leading thinkers and doers are asked to give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes. Talks are then made available for free at TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Benoit Mandelbrot, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Isabel Allende and former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown. Two major TED events take place each year: the TED Conference takes place every spring in Long Beach (along with a parallel conference, TEDActive, in Palm Springs), and TEDGlobal takes place each summer in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- The Made in Tahoe Festival will be hosted at Squaw Valley on May 27-28, and celebrates all things Tahoe
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- Patti Bess: ‘A little patch of paradise’ at Sweet Roots Farm in Grass Valley
- Rethinking the lawn
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Nevada County banker stepping away after half century in the business
- John Drew: The truth about Centennial Reservoir and the Bear River
- Railbus 97 restored and ready to ride at Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum