Tasting event today at Foothill Farmers’ Market
March 22, 2013
Eat Local Placer and Nevada, an effort managed by the University of California Cooperative Extension, will host a tasting event at the Auburn Farmers' Market today. The event, which is funded by a grant from the California Department of Food and Agriculture's Specialty Crop Block Grant program, is designed to connect local consumers with local specialty crop growers.
"This tasting will feature Asparagus and Radish Salad with Farm Egg and Meyer Lemon," said Cindy Fake, Horticulture and Small Farms advisor for UCCE. "As an added bonus, the first 100 people who sample the featured recipe will receive a $5 voucher for purchasing fresh fruits, nuts, and vegetables at any Foothill Farmers' Market."
The tasting will run from 9 a.m. until 11 a.m.
UCCE works in partnership with local farmers and ranchers to build and strengthen the local food system. The organization is dedicated to supporting the local agricultural community and helping it grow and thrive through a variety of educational and community building programs. The Foothill Farmers' Market is located at Auburn Folsom Road at Lincoln Way in Auburn.
Farmers' Market Asparagus and Radish Salad with Farm Egg and Meyer Lemon
By Courtney McDonald
• 1 bunch asparagus, tough ends removed
• 1 bunch radishes, washed wedged
• 2 hardboiled eggs, peeled
• Juice and zest of 1 Meyer lemon
• 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons chopped mixed fresh herbs such as chives, tarragon or parsley
• Salt and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium mixing bowl, toss the asparagus with 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and spread the asparagus onto a rimmed baking sheet. Roast in the oven until just tender – about 10 minutes.
Remove from the oven and set aside to cool to room temperature. While asparagus is cooling, hard boil the eggs. Slice eggs into eight wedges. Arrange the roasted asparagus on a serving platter.
Arrange the egg and radishes on top. Drizzle the platter with the lemon juice and zest and the remaining olive oil. Garnish with the chopped fresh herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately. Serves four.
For more information go to http://www.facebook.com/EatLocalPlacerAndNevada.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Activities and Events
- SummerFest: Six Music in the Mountains concerts offer range of venues, styles
- Coriander boom taking root in Japan
- Rough and Ready Secession Days Chili Cook-off set for June 25
- Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice: Movies Under the Pines brings back classic comedy
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- 2 men accused of having exploding devices in western Nevada County
- Heat wave comes to Nevada County with the first day of summer (Video)
- Nevada, Placer county rivers claim 2 lives over the weekend
- Mindy Oberne: The real deal on SB 562, the single-payer legislation
- Placer County authorities release ID of victim in fatal Friday wreck