Surf band brings Christmas album, concert to Cooper’s stage
December 21, 2012
Bay Area cult surf rock group The Mermen have truly decked the halls this Christmas.
The trio of Jim Thomas, Martyn Jones and Allen Whitman puts its original twist on classic holiday songs and cut "Do You Hear What I Hear? A Very Mermen Christmas" recently. The group will perform songs from the album Friday at Cooper's Ale Works in Nevada City.
Get in a festive mood with classic tunes such as "The Little Drummer Boy," "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" or even "Silent Night" with The Mermen's unique rocking, surf music sound.
"For years, I've thought about making a Mermen Christmas album. In 1995 The Mermen recorded the Christmas songs 'Carol Of The Bells' and 'Happy Christmas War Is Over.' We performed them at the end of a recording session as a casual afterthought," said Thomas. "This was during the recording session for our album 'Songs of the Cows.' I always thought The Mermen performed those songs rather soulfully and always felt it would be interesting to do a Mermen Christmas album, never giving any serious thought for over 10 years — until now. It seemed like a monumental project to do a Christmas album because, to me, to fulfill the meaning in the songs seemed an impossible task."
The Mermen take the stage at 9 p.m. Friday at Cooper's. There is a $10 cover.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- For the love of animals: Find compassion in action at Animal Film Festival
- Commentary: Cars and coffee: a spontaneous showing of cars
- Blues Fusion dance welcomes live music Friday night
- ‘Tiny House, Big Living’ show looking for cast members on HGTV
- 3rd annual Animal Film Festival comes to Grass Valley Saturday
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Nevada County authorities accuse man of possessing meth, police scanner
- Nevada County homicide: Detective says suspect confided about shooting
- Andrew Wilson: Nevada County Board of Supervisors ignores will of voters, shirks responsibility
- Nevada City talks medical marijuana