Summer vegetable gardens next Master Gardener workshop
March 21, 2014
Ready to buy seeds, plant starts and begin a summer vegetable garden? Spring is upon us—so now is the time to get newly inspired and invigorated about vegetable gardening.
The Nevada County Master Gardeners will host a free workshop, "Grow a Great Vegetable Garden this Summer!"
It will be from 10 a.m. to noon March 29 downstairs at the Veterans' Memorial Hall, 255 South Auburn Street in Grass Valley.
Parking is available behind the building. Signs will point you in the right direction.
A team of three Master Gardeners will provide ideas, suggestions and research-based advice for growing a great vegetable garden in the foothills this summer.
Whether you're a brand new vegetable gardener or a long-time practitioner of vegetable-growing, this workshop will have something for you.
Learn how to set up garden beds, how to improve soil for success, how to germinate starts and which vegetables and varieties do well in the foothills.
The workshop will also cover the critical issue of when to plant and how to take advantage of season extenders that will allow you to get a jump on summer and keep your plants alive a little longer at the other end of the season.
The workshop will also cover edible landscaping.
There are many ways to grow fresh vegetables: among your ornamental plants, in pots or containers, or vertically.
We will discuss vegetable varieties that are particularly colorful and attractive and where they are likely to perform best.
The presenters will allow plenty of time for questions and discussion.
"The Western Nevada County Gardening Guide," written and published by the Nevada County Master Gardeners, will be on sale before and after the presentation.
This spiral-bound book is a must-have for gardeners in our area.
For more information about this and other upcoming workshops and events, please visit the Nevada County Master Gardener website at http://ncmg.ucanr.org or call the Master Gardener hotline at 530-273-0919.
Like us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/UCCEmastergardeners.nevadacounty where you'll see timely gardening tips, along with announcements of our varied workshops this year.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Sierra Master Chorale and Orchestra spring concerts orchestrated to ‘lift, renew’ spirits
- Sierra Cinemas presents NT Live Edward Albee’s ‘Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?’
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- ’80s stalwarts The Psychedelic Furs coming to Grass Valley in July
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Lawsuit filed against Nevada County alleges wrongful jail death
- Could tiny houses fix a huge problem?: Homeless advocates respond to Nevada County’s plan
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later