Spring Awakening comes to Haven Underground
May 9, 2013
Haven Underground is pleased to present an intimate evening with MaMuse and Ayla Nereo at 7 p.m. Thursday (May 9). Prepare to "be awakened to spring's song" by these three female vocalist/multi-instrumentalist/songstresses who promise to give full heart in this evening of divinely inspired music, according to the artists.
MaMuse ("Ma" as in Mamma; "Muse" as in the one who inspires) has deep roots in the folk and gospel traditions, and their hearts in the present. The duo of Sarah Nutting and Karisha Longaker creates uplifting music. Interweaving brilliant and haunting harmony with lyrics born of honed emotional intelligence, MaMuse invokes a musical presence that inspires the opening of the heart. Playing a family of varied acoustic instruments, including upright bass, guitar, mandolins, ukulele and flutes, these two powerful women embody a love for all of life. The synergy that is created through this musical connection is palpable and truly moving to witness, according to Haven Underground.
"With the softness of a summer breeze, the warmth of liquid honey and the joy and color of butterfly wings, MaMuse engage their audience, allowing the spirits of one and all to take flight and soar, as they smile all the while," according to Cloud Moss of the Kate Wolf Music Festival
Ayla Nereo's voice hits straight to the heart. With an array of loop pedals by her side, she layers vocal melodies into majestic, sweeping harmonies and weaves magical threads of guitar, kalimba, piano and percussion into each live performance. Her lucid storytelling and lyrical imagery are water for the thirsty soul, sounds embodying the many folds of our own selves. Ayla's music is both timeless and modern; circle songs and roots music meet folktronica. Crafting an immersive soundscape we can rest in, her gentle intention guides us into a more open and receptive state. Each performance is a journey: an inspired, wondrous experience that holds you by the heart and doesn't let go, according to Haven Underground.
Tickets for Thursday's show are $15 in advance or $20 at the door. Limited advance tickets are available at BriarPatch Co-op and online at http://havenunderground.org. This is a seated show. Concessions complimentary of The Curly Wolf.
Haven Underground is located at 226 Broad St. in Nevada City.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Sierra Master Chorale and Orchestra spring concerts orchestrated to ‘lift, renew’ spirits
- Sierra Cinemas presents NT Live Edward Albee’s ‘Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?’
- ’80s stalwarts The Psychedelic Furs coming to Grass Valley in July
- Comedian Kathy Griffin coming to Grass Valley in June
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip