Special screening of ‘Barrymore’ at Sierra Cinemas
November 29, 2012
Sierra Cinemas presents a one-night-only screening of "Barrymore," a film adaptation of the Broadway play starring Christopher Plummer as John Barrymore. The film, along with an accompanying documentary "Backstage with Barrymore," shows at 7:15 p.m. Wednesday at Sierra Cinemas.
"Barrymore" is an unforgettable portrayal of legendary actor John Barrymore, a man of colossal talent and contradictions and one of the greatest Shakespearean actors of all time. Set in 1942, the final year of John Barrymore's life, "Barrymore" takes place on the stage of a Broadway theatre, where the actor is struggling to recreate his performance in the title role of Shakespeare's Richard III. It leads him to look back on the highs and lows of his stunning career and remarkable life. Directed and adapted for the screen by Érik Canuel ("Bon Cop, Bad Cop"), "Barrymore" stars Christopher Plummer in the tour-de-force film performance of his career.
In 1997, William Luce's play "Barrymore" premiered on Broadway in a celebrated production starring Plummer, who won the Tony for Best Actor in a Play for the role. For the film, Plummer recreated his performance for multiple high-definition cameras, filmed over seven days on location and on the stage at the Elgin Theater in Toronto. The film premiered to acclaim at the Toronto Film Festival in September 2011.
"Barrymore" is presented by New York-based alternative content distributors BY Experience and Executive Producers Steve Kalafer and Peter LeDonne, in association with Image Entertainment. The 90-minute film is produced by Garth H. Drabinsky. A 45 minute bonus feature documenting the making of Barrymore will follow the film.
Tickets are $9 for adults and $7 for seniors and children 12 and under and are available at the Sierra Cinemas Box Office or online at http://www.sierratheaters.com.
For information about "Barrymore," visit http://www.barrymorethefilm.com or call Sierra Cinemas at (530) 477-9000.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- The Made in Tahoe Festival will be hosted at Squaw Valley on May 27-28, and celebrates all things Tahoe
- Patti Bess: ‘A little patch of paradise’ at Sweet Roots Farm in Grass Valley
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Denis Peirce: That’s how we troll — on Lake Almanor
- Organic farming going strong with next generation at Bakbraken Acres
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed