Solar eclipse chaser to talk
February 21, 2013
Solar eclipse chaser to talk
The speaker for the March 6 meeting of the Nevada County Astronomers is David Buchla, local solar eclipse chaser.
Buchla and his wife Lorraine have been to 12 total eclipses and two annular eclipses of the sun.
Their last trip was to the Australian eclipse in November, where they viewed it from the small cruise ship Orion.
The narrow path of the total eclipse included Queensland, Australia, and a swath across the Pacific Ocean. The trip was combined with one to Papua New Guinea, which will be a key part of the talk with photos from various villages along the northern coast of Papua New Guinea.
One of the highlights of the trip was an amazing night view of the Manam volcano as it erupted.
In addition to the discussion of Papua New Guinea, the talk will include a brief overview of the sun and its spectrum, including interesting information that is leaned from the spectrum.
The flash spectrum of the sun's chromosphere can only be recorded during an eclipse, so it offers an opportunity to learn about its composition.
The Nevada County Astronomers meet in the Community Room of the Nevada County Library the first Wednesday of the month at 7 p.m.
The public is always welcome and there is no admission charge.
Forest Service seeks campground hosts
Volunteer campground hosts are being sought for the 2013 camping season at Golden Trout Crossing campground on the South Fork Feather River and at Little Grass Valley reservoir outside La Porte, Calif. Both sites are located on the Feather River Ranger District of the Plumas National Forest. Host duties include welcoming visitors upon arrival, posting daily reservations at campsites, sharing news and information about the facility, recreation opportunities and rules; working with visitors regarding rules compliance and facilitating family-friendly fun. The recreation season begins approximately one week before Memorial Day and extends through October or until the weather changes. Hosts must have a self-contained RV or trailer and personal vehicle for transportation.
For information and an application, please contact Deb Schoenberg, Feather River Ranger District Resource Officer, 530-534-6500.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Patti Bess: ‘A little patch of paradise’ at Sweet Roots Farm in Grass Valley
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Strawberry Music Festival returns with stellar line-up
- PG&E offers debris removal in tree death crisis
- Sierra Cinemas presents NT Live Edward Albee’s ‘Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?’
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier