Sing out loud: 3rd annual vocal competition Sunday
November 1, 2013
On Sunday, the Sierra Master Chorale will present its third annual Laura June Breen youth vocal competition.
Ten accomplished young contestants, aged 12 to 21, will each will perform two songs of differing styles and genre, of their choice, with the goal of showcasing their voice using contrasting pieces of music.
Ken Hardin will provide piano accompaniment as needed. Three experienced judges will determine which contestant wins the $500 prize.
The participants will be: Walter Aldrich, Talen Anderson, Ashley Clark, Trevor Humpherys, Emily Rice, Pema Staves and Grace Vieaux.
"We certainly hope the community comes out and attends the competition to honor, support and encourage young singers as they seek to fulfill their dreams. Come be thrilled by these talented youngsters," said InConcert Board President Keith Porter.
The concept for this event originated with Daniel Zuckerman as a memorial tribute to his mother, Laura June Breen.
She was a beloved vocal teacher in our community who encouraged and inspired students of all ages.
Zuckerman and the Sierra Master Chorale agreed to collaborate on the event to inspire a new wave of young singers to find their voice and have the opportunity to command a stage.
In the inaugural competition in 2011, the judges felt two young women were equally talented, and generous donors quickly agreed to contribute an additional $500 so that both top contestants received the full first-prize amount.
The second annual competition in 2012 was also successful, and generous contributors enabled an award for both a first prize of $500 and a second prize of $250 to deserving young musicians, according Sierra Master Chorale.
The competition begins at 2 p.m. Sunday at the Center for the Arts, 314 Main St., Grass Valley.
Admission is $10 general, $5 for youth ages 12-21, ages 11 and under are free with am adult.
Raffle tickets to help support the event will be on sale — plus every admission ticket receives a complimentary raffle ticket.
Tickets are available online at inconcertsierra.org, at BriarPatch Co-op or at the door.
For information on the competition or Sierra Master Chorale, visit http://inconcertsierra.org or call 530-273-3990.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- The Made in Tahoe Festival will be hosted at Squaw Valley on May 27-28, and celebrates all things Tahoe
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- Patti Bess: ‘A little patch of paradise’ at Sweet Roots Farm in Grass Valley
- Rethinking the lawn
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- John Drew: The truth about Centennial Reservoir and the Bear River
- Nevada County banker stepping away after half century in the business
- Railbus 97 restored and ready to ride at Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum