Sierra Nevada Winds begins its 24th season
November 21, 2013
Ten Nevada County musicians will perform with the Sierra Nevada Winds Orchestra at 7:30 p.m. Saturday as the 45-member wind ensemble, directed by Dr. Robert Halseth, opens its 24th season. The concert is at the First United Methodist Church, 3101 Colusa Highway, in Yuba City.
Nevada City musician Paul Trethewey will take up the baton as a guest conductor to lead the band in the Zwickbusserl-Polka by Günther Friedmann and Franz Watz. In addition to playing principal alto sax with the Winds, Trethewey is a member of the German music band Papa Oom-Pa-Pa and the Power of 12 R&B band.
Flutist Judy Toyoda Coe, a Wheatland resident, is featured in the hauntingly beautiful "Fantasy in French," music of Debussy, Satie and Saint-Saëns arranged by American composer Julie Giroux.
The program also includes Malcolm Arnold's entertaining "Four Scottish Dances," Arturo Márquez' dynamically rhythmic "Danzón No. 2," and Norman Dello Joio's "Fantasies on a Theme by Haydn." Rounding out the evening will be Ronald Lo Presti's "Elegy for a Young American," written in 1964 and dedicated to the memory of President John F. Kennedy, and Samuel Barber's "Sure on this Shining Night," a gorgeous ballad inspired by a poem of American poet James Agee.
The Sierra Nevada Winds, a nonprofit organization, formed in Nevada County with 15 members in 1990. It has performed in concert halls, parks and other venues throughout the Sierra and Sacramento Valley. It has become known for a varied musical repertoire that ranges from Big Band jazz to serious classical music and from marches to show tunes.
Halseth, in his second year as conductor and artistic director of the Winds, is Professor of Conducting and Director of Bands at California State University, Sacramento. Following a recent performance, he commented that the Winds "played a challenging program with flair and verve and conviction, resulting in a first rate concert for our audience."
In addition to their Yuba City concert, the Winds will perform two children's concerts at the Roseville Theatre Arts Academy in Roseville Feb. 7 and a major concert at Dietrich Theatre, Sierra College in Rocklin May 10.
Tickets for Saturday's concert in Yuba City, at the door, are $10 for general admission and $7 for seniors and students. Call 530-269-0395, check http://sierranevadawinds.org or visit the Sierra Nevada Winds on Facebook for information.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- For the love of animals: Find compassion in action at Animal Film Festival
- Commentary: Cars and coffee: a spontaneous showing of cars
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Swan Central: Sacramento Valley rice fields offer best winter waterfowl viewing in state
- 3rd annual Animal Film Festival comes to Grass Valley Saturday
- Grass Valley police charge couple with torture, kidnapping
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Sixth-grader Josie Allen takes on Highway 49
- Nevada County Public Health Department receives reports of mumps
- Nevada County child sex suspect scheduled to return to court next week