Sierra Jazz Society kicks off spring series
April 18, 2013
The Sierra Jazz Society will host the first of its three-part Spring Concert Series at 2 p.m. Saturday. Faculty, friends and students of Sierra Jazz Society will present the music of Duke Ellington, Thelonious Monk, Marian McPartland, Cole Porter, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Johnny Mercer, Dave Brubeck, Ann Ronnell, Miles Davis and more. Bill Douglass on bass leads the faculty and selected students in three jazz concerts presenting the wide variety that is jazz. Other musicians include Nora Nausbaum, flute; John Girton, guitar; Kit Bailey, drums; Al Bent, trombone; Karl Chelette, drums; Jim Trefethan, sax. The faculty who will play in the Spring Concert Series also teach at July's Jazz Camp and the rhythm section — bass, guitar, drums — guides monthly workshops. Both Jazz Camp and the workshops are geared for all ages, all instruments and voice.
Saturday's performance will be at the Unitarian Universalist Community of the Mountains, 246 S. Church St., in Grass Valley. Tickets are $20 and includes complimentary coffee and cookies. It is free for those 18 and younger. Tickets are available online or at the door.
For information, go to http://www.sierrajazzsociety.com/payment.html.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Activities and Events
- CHP: Rough and Ready woman dies in ATV wreck
- Following theft, beloved Nevada County local Kenny Bond to get new bike donated from local businesses
- Joseph Ward, accused of murder, appears in Nevada County Superior Court
- Bear drops by home near Cascade Shores (video)
- CHP: Fire near Greenhorn Campground leads to evacuations (VIDEO)