Sierra Jazz Society kicks off spring series
April 18, 2013
The Sierra Jazz Society will host the first of its three-part Spring Concert Series at 2 p.m. Saturday. Faculty, friends and students of Sierra Jazz Society will present the music of Duke Ellington, Thelonious Monk, Marian McPartland, Cole Porter, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Johnny Mercer, Dave Brubeck, Ann Ronnell, Miles Davis and more. Bill Douglass on bass leads the faculty and selected students in three jazz concerts presenting the wide variety that is jazz. Other musicians include Nora Nausbaum, flute; John Girton, guitar; Kit Bailey, drums; Al Bent, trombone; Karl Chelette, drums; Jim Trefethan, sax. The faculty who will play in the Spring Concert Series also teach at July's Jazz Camp and the rhythm section — bass, guitar, drums — guides monthly workshops. Both Jazz Camp and the workshops are geared for all ages, all instruments and voice.
Saturday's performance will be at the Unitarian Universalist Community of the Mountains, 246 S. Church St., in Grass Valley. Tickets are $20 and includes complimentary coffee and cookies. It is free for those 18 and younger. Tickets are available online or at the door.
For information, go to http://www.sierrajazzsociety.com/payment.html.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Insurance companies dropping homeowners in Nevada County
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case
- Man burned in suspected butane honey oil lab explosion sent to hospital, authorities say
- Vehicle fire: Fire units battling blaze at Hwy 20 and Poker Flat Road (Video)
- Marijuana grow murder case in Nevada County judge’s hands