Ruthie Foster set to sing the blues Saturday in GV
June 26, 2014
WHO: The Center for the Arts presents
WHAT: Ruthie Foster
WHEN: 8 p.m. Saturday, June 28
WHERE: The Center for the Arts
314 W Main Street, Grass Valley, CA 95945
TICKETS: $25 members, $28 non-member
The Center Box Office – 530-274-8384 ext 14
BriarPatch Co-op Community Market
Tickets online at http://www.thecenterforthearts.org
Ruthie Foster will bring her blend of soul, blues, rock, folk and gospel to the Grass Valley stage Saturday during a concert presented by the Center for the Arts.
Foster's list of achievements include: Best Female Vocalist in 2007, 2008 and 2013 from the Austin Music Awards, a 2012 and 2009 Grammy nomination for Best Contemporary Blues Album, the 2010 Living Blues Music Award Critic's Poll for Female Blues Artist of the Year, the 2013 Living Blue Music Award Critic's Poll for Bluest Artist of the Year (female) and recent Blues Music Award wins for Best Contemporary and Best Traditional Blues Female Artist of the Year.
A top-notch blues singer, Foster sets herself apart by seamlessly integrating flourishes of folk, gospel and country into her music.
Originally from Brazos Valley, Texas, Ruthie Foster grew up surrounded by many different kinds of American music, ranging from southern blues and rock to gospel and jazz.
At the age of 14, Foster became a soloist in her uncle's choir, and from then on, her life revolved around music. She joined the Navy ensemble called Pride, where she was the only woman of seven band members who traveled around at recruitment drives playing funk hits.
After moving to New York, she expanded her influences. Five albums followed, including her breakthrough, 2007 "The Phenomenal Ruthie Foster."
Her Grammy-nominated CD, "Let It Burn," is a deeply intimate recording that features a smoky mix of original songs and inventive interpretations of covers.
Guest appearances on the album include gospel legends The Blind Boys of Alabama and Stax Records soul man William Bell.
Tickets to the 8 p.m. show are $25 for members of the Center and $28 for the general public and are available at the Center's Box Office in person, by phone at 530-274-8384 ext. 14, online at http://www.thecenterforthearts.org or at BriarPatch Co-op.
For more information, go to http://www.thecenterforthearts.org, or call 530-274-8384, ext. 14
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Patti Bess: ‘A little patch of paradise’ at Sweet Roots Farm in Grass Valley
- The Made in Tahoe Festival will be hosted at Squaw Valley on May 27-28, and celebrates all things Tahoe
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- Denis Peirce: That’s how we troll — on Lake Almanor
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Nevada County donor pledges to match contributions to Hospitality House
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance