Prolific artist’s work at Indian Springs
January 17, 2013
Mim Meakin's Watercolors will be on display through Feb. 3 at the Indian Springs Tasting Room at 303 Broad St. in Nevada City with a reception for the artist from 2 to 4 p.m. Sunday.
Meakin began her formal art training at the age of 11 at the Columbus School of Fine Arts in Columbus, Ga. She was aware at an early age that drawing and painting would always be her path. Her education continued as a college art major. Though her business career always included such positions as graphic artist, technical illustrator, drafter and mapping technician, her rewards came from her art work. Painting has always provided a sense of balance in her life.
She has conducted workshops and demonstrated painting techniques throughout the United States since 1957, exclusively in watercolor since 1965. Meakin readily admits watercolors are her true passion.
Her wide range of subjects include landscapes, still life, flowers and portraits. She claims a variety keeps her motivated. Meakin has a keen interest in local history and has painted many historical sites in the area. Her paintings have been accepted in regional and national juried competition, consistently winning awards. Her one-woman shows have been featured in Alaska, Arkansas, California, Louisiana, Mississippi and Tennessee.
Among corporate collectors are the Sears Tower in Chicago, The National Bank of Commerce in Memphis and Sanyo Manufacturing Corporation in Osaka, Japan. Her paintings and limited-edition prints are part of many private and business collections throughout the United States, Asia and Europe. For information, call (530) 478-1068.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Sierra Master Chorale and Orchestra spring concerts orchestrated to ‘lift, renew’ spirits
- Sierra Cinemas presents NT Live Edward Albee’s ‘Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?’
- ’80s stalwarts The Psychedelic Furs coming to Grass Valley in July
- Comedian Kathy Griffin coming to Grass Valley in June
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip