Poetry reading Sunday at Summer Thyme’s
April 24, 2014
There will be a celebration of National Poetry Month at 4 p.m. Sunday in Grass Valley, hosted by local poet Jean Varda.
Five local poets will read from their work, including Chris Olander, performance poet, bio/educator and teacher for California poets in the schools; Iven Lourie, editor for Gateways and Artemis books, host of the Cafe Writers Group that meets locally and teacher of literature at Sierra College, who has recently published his latest book,"Return To Mykonos"; JC Slocum, a San Francisco poet in exile who hobnobbed with beat poet Philip Whalen back in the day; and Doreen Domb, published poet, writer, editorial consultant, Reiki master and author of "Pralaya." a chap book of her lovely poetry.
The poets will be accompanied by local jazz musicians Nora Nausbaum and Bill Douglass at Summer Thyme's Café.
An open mic will follow the featured readers. All poets and writers are welcome. This event is free.
For more information, call 530-210-6010.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Sierra Master Chorale and Orchestra spring concerts orchestrated to ‘lift, renew’ spirits
- Sierra Cinemas presents NT Live Edward Albee’s ‘Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?’
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- ’80s stalwarts The Psychedelic Furs coming to Grass Valley in July
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Lawsuit filed against Nevada County alleges wrongful jail death
- Could tiny houses fix a huge problem?: Homeless advocates respond to Nevada County’s plan
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later