Organ concert Sunday
April 26, 2013
John Cannon will present an organ concert at 3 p.m. Sunday at Grace Lutheran Church.
Cannon began his keyboard career with a childhood broken arm. Finding his passion and skill at organ and piano, he attended Loomis Chaffee Preparatory School in Connecticut in 1993, winning the junior and senior prizes in music.
At Colorado State University, Cannon further developed his musical ability.
It is there that he received his master's degree in organ performance in 2003. While in college, he served as organist at First Congregational Church of Loveland and Saint Bartholomew's Episcopal Church of Estes Park.
From 2003-2007, Cannon was the assistant university organist for the University of the South, playing services at the School of Theology and the University Service at All Saints.
He traveled to England with the University Choir and has been the only assistant organist to serve four years and accompany the choir on tour in England twice.
Cannon currently is the organist/choirmaster at St. Bartholomew's church.
In the summer of 2009, he competed in the Luxembourg organ competition, Organs without Borders. He has traveled throughout the United States playing recitals in many churches, including the Cathedral of St. John the Divine in New York City, the Cathedral of Our Lady of Angels and the First Congregational Church in Los Angeles and the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C.
For his concert at Grace, Cannon will be performing works by Bach, Buxtehude, Couperin, Brahms, Langlais and Boellmann.
A reception will follow where the audience can meet and greet the performer. There is no charge for the concert, but a freewill offering will be taken.
Grace Lutheran Church is located on Ridge Road between Nevada Union High School and the Ridge Racquet Club.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Patti Bess: ‘A little patch of paradise’ at Sweet Roots Farm in Grass Valley
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Strawberry Music Festival returns with stellar line-up
- PG&E offers debris removal in tree death crisis
- Sierra Cinemas presents NT Live Edward Albee’s ‘Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?’
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier