Off Broadstreet opens original one-man show
September 5, 2013
Off Broadstreet Theater is not unfamiliar with original works. But this weekend, the Nevada City venue opens its first one-man show with "The Memory Chest." It runs at 8:15 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays through Oct. 19.
"The Memory Chest" will star Jed Dixon as a middle-aged man who discovers magic in a trunk left to him in his grandmother's will, according to OBS.
"The trunk contains memorabilia and a journal reminding him of time spent with her and recounting her eccentric exploits as a self-appointed ambassador of goodwill to visiting Las Vegas headliners during the town's heyday in the latter half of the 20th Century," according to OBS.
The musical showcases Dixon's versatile acting skills as he recreates appearances of members of "The Rat Pack," as well as other memorable performers from Elvis to Don Rickles to Roy Orbison, Dean Martin, Frankie Valli, Bobby Darin, Andrea Bocelli, Neil Diamond plus two dozen more.
The show is suitable for all ages. Friday's opening night festivities include free champagne reception following the performance. In addition to Fridays and Saturday, "The Memory Chest" will have two 2 p.m. Sunday matinees, Sept. 22 and 29.
Admission is $25, or $23 for the matinee. To make reservations, call 530-265-8686.
For information, go to http://offbroadstreet.com/.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Update: Juvenile smoking near the brush, arrested in connection to Auburn fire
- ATV theft takes strange turn, leads authorities from Newtown Road to Penn Valley Drive
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death