New exhibit pays homage to North San Juan Ridge
November 8, 2012
New oil paintings by artist Molly Jochem will be on display throughout the month at Willow Springs in North San Juan.
"Remote Portraits and Magical Landscapes Painted from a Distance of Time and Space" has an opening reception from 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. Friday. There will also be an Arty Tea Party from 4 to 6 p.m. Nov. 18 in conjunction with
"The paintings I am showing at Willow Springs this November are a love letter to the Ridge in which I celebrate the extraordinary community from whose loins I have sprung!" Jochem said.
The artist explains that the Rhodesian ridgeback dog has a section of hair with identical genetic makeup that grows in opposition direction to the rest of its coat. In all other ways, it is identical to the majority.
"This is how I've felt in many situations out in the 'real world,' but I have never felt out of place at home on the Ridge, where all the hair grows in opposition to the majority.
"This body of work includes both 'Remote Portraits' and 'Magical Landscapes' — metaphoric portraits of amazing people that have influenced the forming of my perception of reality and mind sets that I attribute to the life and environment I was raised in.
"All are intended to pay homage to the people who came before me, who, by choosing to live outside the social construct of mainstream America, allowed me to never even know that it was a choice," she said.
Willow Springs is located at 29085 Highway 49 in North San Juan.
For information, call artist Molly Jochem at (971) 226-4985.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Patti Bess: ‘A little patch of paradise’ at Sweet Roots Farm in Grass Valley
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Strawberry Music Festival returns with stellar line-up
- PG&E offers debris removal in tree death crisis
- Sierra Cinemas presents NT Live Edward Albee’s ‘Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?’
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier