New art show features innovative photographs without a camera
February 14, 2013
Photographer Donna Levreault is showing selections from her new collection, "Ghost Flowers," at Summer Thyme's Bakery & Deli. There will be an artist reception from 3 to 5 p.m. Sunday.
These images were made without a camera, using the sun as a source of illumination. Flowers are a popular subject for photographers, but Levreault's photographs shed new light on the beauty of flowers. Mystery radiates from each blossom, and colors shimmer and glow. The viewer sees an after-image of the plant, a ghost image that can range from realistic to abstract. The process used to produce these prints is an old one from the 19th century.
"I love that I am co-creating these photographs with nature. The sun, the atmosphere, the season, the time of day — everything has an effect on the final image," Levreault said.
Summer Thyme's Bakery & Deli is at 421 Colfax Ave. in Grass Valley. For information, visit http://donnalevreault.com.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Update: Juvenile smoking near the brush, arrested in connection to Auburn fire
- ATV theft takes strange turn, leads authorities from Newtown Road to Penn Valley Drive
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death