National Theatre Live presents Shakespeare’s “Othello” at Sierra Cinemas
September 25, 2013
The new season of National Theatre Live kicks off this week with Shakespeare's "Othello." This fall, Sierra Cinemas will feature three Shakespeare plays — "Othello," "Macbeth" and "Hamlet," a reprise of 2011's hit "Frankenstein" and a celebration of the National Theatre's 50th anniversary featuring many of the most celebrated actors who have performed on their stages over the past five decades, including Judi Dench, Ralph Fiennes, Derek Jacobi and Maggie Smith among others. But first up, "Othello" will broadcast live at 7:15 p.m. Thursday (Sept. 26) with an encore showing at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Nicholas Hytner directs The National Theatre's major new production of William Shakespeare's celebrated play about the destructive power of jealousy. Olivier Award-winning actor Adrian Lester (BBC's "Hustle") takes the title role. Playing opposite him as the duplicitous Iago is fellow Olivier Award-winner Rory Kinnear ("James Bond: Skyfall"), who is reunited with director Hytner ("One Man, Two Guvnors") following their acclaimed collaboration on the National Theatre's recent production of "Hamlet."
Othello, newly married to Desdemona — who is half his age — is appointed leader of a major military operation. Iago, passed over for promotion by Othello in favor of the young Cassio, persuades Othello that Cassio and Desdemona are having an affair.
Shakespeare fans can also look forward to October's broadcast of Kenneth Branagh's "Macbeth," from the Manchester International Festival. Branagh returns to the stage for his first Shakespearean role in more than a decade, taking the title role in this tragic tale of ambition and treachery. "Macbeth" will show Oct. 17 with two encore showings Oct. 23 and 30.
National Theatre Live performances are filmed live in high definition and broadcast via satellite to almost 400 cinemas around the world, live in Europe and some U.S. cities, and time-delayed in countries further afield.
Othello runs approximately three and a half hours including intermission.
For information, ticketing or to view the trailer, visit http://SierraTheaters.com. Tickets are $18 for adults, $15 for seniors, children and students and can be purchased at Sierra Cinema's box office or online at http://sierratheaters.com. For information, call 530-477-9000.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- For the love of animals: Find compassion in action at Animal Film Festival
- Commentary: Cars and coffee: a spontaneous showing of cars
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Swan Central: Sacramento Valley rice fields offer best winter waterfowl viewing in state
- 3rd annual Animal Film Festival comes to Grass Valley Saturday
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Grass Valley police charge couple with torture, kidnapping
- Nevada County Public Health Department receives reports of mumps
- Nevada County child sex suspect scheduled to return to court next week
- THE UNION NOW: Live streaming from the newsroom