Metropolitan Opera Live returns to Del Oro
October 16, 2012
The Metropolitan Opera's Peabody- and Emmy Award-winning series "The Met: Live in HD" continues for its seventh season and will be presented locally at the Del Oro Theatre in Grass Valley.
The Del Oro, in partnership with Music in the Mountains, will be presenting 12 live transmissions on Saturday mornings, beginning Oct. 13 with Donizetti's "L'Elisir D'Amore" ("The Elixir of Love").
This popular series brings the thrill of world-class opera to audiences around the world by transmitting the productions live via satellite from New York City and broadcasting them in stunning HD on the big screen.
The broadcast of Donizetti's "L'Elisir d'Amore" will be presented live only one day — at 9:55 a.m. Saturday at The Del Oro.
Anna Netrebko and Matthew Polenzani star in Bartlett Sher's new production of one of the greatest comic gems in opera, as the fickle Adina and her besotted Nemorino. Mariusz Kwiecien is the blustery sergeant Belcore and Ambrogio Maestri is Dulcamara, the lovable quack and dispenser of the elixir. Maurizio Benini conducts.
For the Saturday performance, Music in the Mountains will be offering mimosas in the auditorium to opera-goers.
Following "L'Elisir d'Amore" comes Verdi's "Otello," presented live at 9:55 a.m. Oct. 27. Verdi's Shakespearean masterpiece returns to the Met with Johan Botha in the title role, opposite the acclaimed soprano Renée Fleming in the role of Desdemona. Falk Struckmann is Iago and Semyon Bychkov conducts.
Schedule of performances
Following is the complete season:
Donizetti's "L'Elisir D'Amore" – Oct. 13
Verdi's Otello – Oct. 27
Adès' "The Tempest" – Nov. 10
Mozart's La Clemenza di Tito – Dec. 1
Verdi's Un Ballo in Maschera – Dec. 8
Verdi's Aida – Dec. 15
Berlioz's Les Troyens – Jan. 5
Donizetti's Maria Stuarda – Jan. 19
Verdi's Rigoletto – Feb. 16
Wagner's Parsifal – March 2
Zandonai's "Francesca da Rimini" – March 16
Handel's "Giulio Cesare" – April 27
For information, please call (530) 477-1100 or visit sierratheaters.com.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- The Made in Tahoe Festival will be hosted at Squaw Valley on May 27-28, and celebrates all things Tahoe
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- Patti Bess: ‘A little patch of paradise’ at Sweet Roots Farm in Grass Valley
- Rethinking the lawn
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- John Drew: The truth about Centennial Reservoir and the Bear River
- Nevada County banker stepping away after half century in the business
- Railbus 97 restored and ready to ride at Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum