Master Gardeners host ‘Bite Me’ tomato tasting event
August 30, 2013
Join the Nevada County Master Gardeners at its annual tomato-tasting event from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Sept. 7.
The event will be held in the shade pavilion at the Demonstration Garden on the NID Business Center grounds, 1036 W. Main St., Grass Valley.
This is an opportunity to view and taste many unusual home grown vegetables and fruits, including tomatoes, peppers, apples, ground cherries, beans, eggplant and many more. Participants will be asked to vote for their favorite tomatoes. Based on the results, the master gardeners will save seed and propagate the favorites for their spring plant sale.
They will also give tours of the Demonstration Garden. Master gardeners will be available to answer gardening questions, and help identify a garden pest or plant that you would like help identifying. Bring a sample in a sealed container and they will help you to pinpoint the problem.
Two workshops will also be offered:
— Learn how to successfully compost in the Composting Workshop from 11 a.m. to noon.
— Discover how to create a garden that combines edibles and ornamentals resulting in a year-round feast for the eyes and appetite in our Edibles Landscaping Workshop from noon to 1 p.m.
For more information, call 530-273-0919 or visit the website at: http://ncmg.ucanr.org.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Repeat offender back in Nevada County Jail, police say
- HOMICIDE: Friends say Penn Valley murder suspect appeared to be deteriorating, kept guns in home
- Update: Juvenile smoking near the brush, arrested in connection to Auburn fire
- ATV theft takes strange turn, leads authorities from Newtown Road to Penn Valley Drive
- UPDATE: 1 charged with murder in Penn Valley death