Locals featured in Sierra Nevada Winds
May 9, 2014
The Sierra Nevada Winds, a 48-piece wind ensemble conducted by Robert Halseth, performs at 7:30 p.m. today at Dietrich Theatre, Sierra College, in Rocklin.
Five Nevada County residents will share the spotlight during the concert. They include Inger Avery, oboe; Mike McAllister, French horn; Paul Trethewey, alto saxophone; Laurie Piner, flute; and John Frantz, trumpet.
Flutist Jeremiah Duarte Bills, a Loomis native, is featured in François Borne's Fantaisie Brillante, a virtuosic composition of famous melodies from Bizet's opera Carmen. A graduate of The Juilliard School of Music, Bills has performed as a soloist with the Diablo Symphony, Sacramento Philharmonic, Sacramento Bach Festival and California Wind Orchestra.
Other major works on the program include Leonard Bernstein's Overture to "Candide," Dello Joio's Scenes from "The Louvre," and John Williams' monumental Star Wars Trilogy.
The concert is sponsored by Sierra College Friends of the Library. Tickets, available at the door, are $10 for general admission and $7 for seniors and students. Parking is free on Saturdays. Check http://www.sierranevadawinds.org or call 530-269-0395 for further information.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Robbery suspect wanted in May incident found in Grass Valley
- Nevada County Sheriff deputies respond to shooting victims near North San Juan
- Man burned in suspected butane honey oil lab explosion sent to hospital, authorities say
- Shortage of construction workers in Nevada County reaching critical levels
- Nevada County jury convicts John Richard Green on 16 out of 18 counts in child sex case