Learn map, compass skills
April 25, 2013
Ready for summer navigation challenges? Learn or perfect map and compass skills at an Orienteering meet along the beautiful American River Parkway May 19.
The Orienteering meet, sponsored by Gold Country Orienteers (GCO), takes place at Rossmoor Bar in Rancho Cordova.
Using a detailed map, compass and a set of clues, you navigate from point to point to find a series of designated checkpoints.
The sport can be done as a competitive race or a leisurely hike and is great for youth groups, hikers and other outdoors enthusiasts, adventure racers and anyone seeking a physical and a mental challenge.
Beginning, intermediate and advanced courses will be offered. Beginning instruction will be offered.
Registration will be from 9 a.m. to 12 noon. The courses can be started between 10 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. The cost is $5 for GCO members and $7 for nonmembers for individuals, plus $2 for each additional member in a group.
To get there, take Highway 50 east from Sacramento to Sunrise Boulevard. Go north to Coloma Road and turn left. Go to Rossmoor Drive and turn right and go into the park. The park fee is $5. Look for orange-and-white orienteering signs.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- For the love of animals: Find compassion in action at Animal Film Festival
- Commentary: Cars and coffee: a spontaneous showing of cars
- Blues Fusion dance welcomes live music Friday night
- ‘Tiny House, Big Living’ show looking for cast members on HGTV
- 3rd annual Animal Film Festival comes to Grass Valley Saturday
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Nevada County authorities accuse man of possessing meth, police scanner
- Nevada County homicide: Detective says suspect confided about shooting
- Andrew Wilson: Nevada County Board of Supervisors ignores will of voters, shirks responsibility
- Nevada City talks medical marijuana