Home Tour: Cape Cod on Banner Mountain
October 2, 2012
A circular drive brings visitors past heritage apple trees to the double-breasted red entry doors of this traditional New England style house, complete with white painted trim against charcoal gray board and batten siding.
Within, hardwood oak floors, wainscoting, white painted woodwork and cabinetry contribute to the cozy ambience of this Cape Cod home originally built in 1962 and remodeled by the current owners to include a master suite addition and a kitchen that complement the original theme.
Antique and reproduction furniture, oriental rugs, and a Honduran mahogany fireplace make the living room feel warm and inviting. Original artwork, with many pieces by local artists, graces the walls here and in the entire home. The dining room with its beamed ceiling and walls of windows opens onto a deck, patio, and a blue-bottomed swimming pool, all surrounded by rhododendrons, wisteria, dogwoods, and Japanese maples.
With white cabinets and soapstone counters and a butcher block island, the kitchen is the place to linger and notice the hand-made tile, the corner fireplace in a cabinet of quarter sawn oak, the bay window seat with Limbert reproduction chairs and table. Visions in Glass created the glass in the lighted custom china cabinet.
From the kitchen, a breezeway turned mudroom leads to the spacious family room, complete with open beamed ceiling, red enameled heating stove, and office and storage space.
The master suite features a fireplace with soapstone surround set into a wall of white cabinetry, a bay window, coved ceiling, and an adjacent spa bathroom. Both the bedroom and bathroom open onto a private patio with a hot tub. Upstairs trompe l'oeil painting on the walls leads to a spacious guest bedroom with a four-poster bed, faux painting of fall leaves on the walls and across an armoire.
A smaller guest bedroom with wood floors and wainscoting also serves as an office.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Sierra Master Chorale and Orchestra spring concerts orchestrated to ‘lift, renew’ spirits
- Sierra Cinemas presents NT Live Edward Albee’s ‘Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?’
- Comedian Kathy Griffin coming to Grass Valley in June
- ’80s stalwarts The Psychedelic Furs coming to Grass Valley in July
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball
- Lawsuit filed against Nevada County alleges wrongful jail death