Home Tour: Cape Cod on Banner Mountain
October 2, 2012
A circular drive brings visitors past heritage apple trees to the double-breasted red entry doors of this traditional New England style house, complete with white painted trim against charcoal gray board and batten siding.
Within, hardwood oak floors, wainscoting, white painted woodwork and cabinetry contribute to the cozy ambience of this Cape Cod home originally built in 1962 and remodeled by the current owners to include a master suite addition and a kitchen that complement the original theme.
Antique and reproduction furniture, oriental rugs, and a Honduran mahogany fireplace make the living room feel warm and inviting. Original artwork, with many pieces by local artists, graces the walls here and in the entire home. The dining room with its beamed ceiling and walls of windows opens onto a deck, patio, and a blue-bottomed swimming pool, all surrounded by rhododendrons, wisteria, dogwoods, and Japanese maples.
With white cabinets and soapstone counters and a butcher block island, the kitchen is the place to linger and notice the hand-made tile, the corner fireplace in a cabinet of quarter sawn oak, the bay window seat with Limbert reproduction chairs and table. Visions in Glass created the glass in the lighted custom china cabinet.
From the kitchen, a breezeway turned mudroom leads to the spacious family room, complete with open beamed ceiling, red enameled heating stove, and office and storage space.
The master suite features a fireplace with soapstone surround set into a wall of white cabinetry, a bay window, coved ceiling, and an adjacent spa bathroom. Both the bedroom and bathroom open onto a private patio with a hot tub. Upstairs trompe l'oeil painting on the walls leads to a spacious guest bedroom with a four-poster bed, faux painting of fall leaves on the walls and across an armoire.
A smaller guest bedroom with wood floors and wainscoting also serves as an office.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Common-cure ’70 Chevy C10 short-bed fleetside pickup
- Nevada County organic farmer saves heirloom trees for food and history
- New classes starting at Fletcher’s Dance Hall in Nevada City
- Swan Central: Sacramento Valley rice fields offer best winter waterfowl viewing in state
- Grass Valley police charge couple with torture, kidnapping
- Federal, state lawmakers make case for more dams at water symposium (VIDEO)
- Nevada County Public Health Department receives reports of mumps
- Sixth-grader Josie Allen takes on Highway 49
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say