Historic ballet performance comes to Sutton
March 7, 2013
A new series of classical ballets presented in high definition is currently underway at Sutton Cinemas. The series kicked off last month with the Paris Opera Ballet's "Don Quixote" and continues this week with a rare film of an historic performance. "Swan Lake," performed by Rudolf Nureyev and Margot Fonteyn in 1966, will be screened at 7:15 p.m. Tuesday and again at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday.
Don't miss this rare opportunity to catch a never-before-seen high-definition restoration of a historic Rudolf Nureyev and Margot Fonteyn 1966 performance of "Swan Lake" (Tchaikovsky) at the Vienna State Opera House. Choreographed by Nureyev and conducted by John Lanchbery, with the Wiener Symphoniker orchestra, this ballet is one of the most timeless.
Nureyev and Fonteyn revolutionized the world of ballet by crossing the borders between classical ballet and modern dance. Hailed as the greatest ballet partnership of all time, Nureyev once said that they danced with "one body and one soul."
Other upcoming ballet performances at Sutton Cinemas include "Blood Wedding/Suite Flamenca" Teatro Real, Madrid, April 9 and 10, "Mahler 3rd Symphony Ballet" at the Paris Opera Ballet May 7 and 8 and "La Sylphide Ballet" also filmed at the Paris Opera Ballet June 4 and 5.
Tickets for Ballet in HD are $9 adults and $7 seniors and children. Advanced tickets are available at Sutton Cinemas box office or at http://sierratheaters.com.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- The Made in Tahoe Festival will be hosted at Squaw Valley on May 27-28, and celebrates all things Tahoe
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Patti Bess: ‘A little patch of paradise’ at Sweet Roots Farm in Grass Valley
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- Rethinking the lawn
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed