Grass Valley’s Art Works Gallery host Bear River student show
April 5, 2013
Art Works Gallery is hosting an evening reception and fundraising show and sale featuring the work of art students from Bear River High School. The show runs from April 1 to 15, with a special reception from 5 to 7 p.m. today at 113 Mill St. in downtown Grass Valley.
"This show is important because it validates the arts in education for our community," said art teacher Elizabeth Jens. "Art brings much joy to my students – and for those that apply themselves – much learning and understanding of the world around them.
"To understand how important art classes are to our students just listen to what they say," continued Jens.
"Art has become an essential piece of my life and allows me to express myself in creative, relaxing ways with color and creativity," said sophomore Mikayla Laymance.
"With so many stressful classes, art has become the place that I look forward to coming to so that I can be free to create and be imaginative without strict guidelines as to how," said junior Taylor Dutrow
"Art has taught me to see the beauty in mundane things and to find inspiration in everything around me," said junior Hannah Grimes.
"I can't live with out it," said senior Travis Kirk
"IT'S AMAZING!!!!!!!," said senior Brandon Day
"You can't spell art without Jens. Thank goodness that it's art class and we don't have to spell…" said senior Parker Schwartz
"IT IS SO MUCH FUUUNNNNN!!" said freshman Alex Watkins.
All of the proceeds from the sale of works by Bear River High School artists will go to the students involved. In addition, all 36 member/artists of Art Works Gallery will donate 10 percent of their sales during the April 5 reception towards art supplies for the school.
Art Works Gallery is a cooperative gallery, which exhibits a high-quality collection of artwork in jewelry, furniture, paintings, photography, ceramics, fiber arts, woodwork, mixed media and sculpture. Art Works Gallery is open daily and located at 113 Mill Street in Grass Valley. For more information go to http://www.artworksgalleryco-op.com.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- The Made in Tahoe Festival will be hosted at Squaw Valley on May 27-28, and celebrates all things Tahoe
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- Patti Bess: ‘A little patch of paradise’ at Sweet Roots Farm in Grass Valley
- Rethinking the lawn
- Penn Valley woman accused of trying to mail suspected drugs to prison
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- John Drew: The truth about Centennial Reservoir and the Bear River
- Nevada County banker stepping away after half century in the business
- Railbus 97 restored and ready to ride at Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad Museum