Grass Valley artist opens solo show in Oakland
November 30, 2013
Grass Valley artist Richard Downs will open his solo exhibit of new monotypes, paintings and sculpture Friday at the Transmission Gallery in Oakland.
This work continues Downs' personal exploration of the human connections that shape our humanity.
He has created editorial illustrations for most United States periodicals and newspapers ranging from Smithsonian Magazine to the New York Times and international organizations such as the International Monetary Fund and the United Nations publication divisions, according to his bio. Downs has received numerous awards for his work, including the New York Society of Illustrators and American Illustration.
Downs is a graduate of Art Center College of Design and was a faculty member for six years, and currently he is teaching editorial illustration practices in the Applied Art and Design Department at Sierra College. His work was selected for the Crocker Art Museum's 2012 Art Auction. His monotype, "Couple #203," was auctioned at the Crocker Art Museum. This will be the fourth solo exhibit of his work and the first solo exhibit of his work in the Bay Area. Downs lives in Grass Valley with wife and artist Gwyn Stramler and their daughter.
The exhibit is open for viewing every Friday from noon to 6 p.m. and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. He will have an artist reception from 6 to 9 p.m. Friday. Transmission Gallery is located at 770 W. Grand Ave. in Oakland. For information, visit http://thetransmissiongallery.com, or call 510-835-2626.
For more information about Downs, go to http:// downs-art.com.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Patti Bess: ‘A little patch of paradise’ at Sweet Roots Farm in Grass Valley
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Strawberry Music Festival returns with stellar line-up
- PG&E offers debris removal in tree death crisis
- Sierra Cinemas presents NT Live Edward Albee’s ‘Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?’
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier