‘For the love of music’: Off Broadstreet goes in concert this weekend
February 21, 2013
On Friday and Saturday, Off Broadstreet presents its first in a series of five one-weekend concerts to be performed in 2013. In "For The Love of Music," enjoy songs from a wide variety of eras and styles with award-winning vocalist Kris Stepanian and infamous local guitar man George Souza.
The performances will be at 8:15 p.m. both nights. Admission for the special performances is $25 per person.
Kris Stepanian is an Off Broadstreet regular, last seen in "Accidentally Famous." Stepanian has appeared in many OBS productions, including, "Nunsense I, II and III," "Dress Rehearsal III and IV," "Angry Housewives," "They're Playing Our Song" and "Dracula-The Musical?" to name just a few. The Nevada County native has enjoyed many accomplishments and accolades, including, an Elly Award, Miss Nevada County Fair Queen, Gold Country Idol and numerous other singing competition titles.
George Souza has been referred to as a guitar master and is well known in the music scene of Northern California. His music often embodies the elegance and soul of flamenco, jazz and blues. Yet he performs music from all eras and genres. During the 1970s, Souza was the musical director for The Vibrations and played the R&B circuit, including The Apollo, Uptown and Howard Theaters, while on tours with Sam and Dave and The Average White Band. He also recorded on A.M. Records with Jeffrey Osborne and L.T.D.
During the 1980s, Souza was the house guitarist at Harrah's in Reno and Lake Tahoe, where he played with Sammy Davis Jr., Nancy Wilson, Bernadette Peters, Frank Sinatra and many others.
His band, George Souza and The Funk Brothers, has been together since 1977. George's last CD, "Another Night," is a mixture of songs from his years of performing. This is Souza's first public appearance on the Off Broadstreet stage.
Off Broadstreet is located at 305 Commercial St. in Nevada City. For reservations, call 530-265-8686.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Activities and Events
- ’80s stalwarts The Psychedelic Furs coming to Grass Valley in July
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- NCTV Talk: Thru the Lens gala set for Del Oro Theatre
- Summer movies for kids begins June 14 at Del Oro Theatre in Grass Valley
- Bow-Tie Beauties Uncensored: Burlesque show at Miners Foundry
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Man convicted of making lewd acts toward a child, seeks new trial