For love of animals: Upcoming events with Bear Yuba Land Trust
October 8, 2012
The Bear Yuba Land Trust Treks will once again offer a Draft Horse Classic — Behind the Scene event from 4 to 9 p.m. Sept. 21. This trek is rated as easy and will be led by Eleanor Roberts, a former teamster, who travels from Missouri to participate as one of the announcers for the performances.
For many years, Roberts and her husband, Larry, had a beautiful Percheron hitch and exhibited at the Classic. She is a consummate horse woman and highly respected as a driver/teamster. She will lead a trek through the barns, introduce participants to the different draft horse breeds and their owners. She'll discuss harnessing, the equipment, what it takes to create a team of horses and more.
This trek costs $30 for land trust members, $35 for nonmembers. The fee includes reserved seating at the show that night.
Then Sept. 23, the land trust will host a trek with dogs. The Peter Grubb Hut/Round Valley Doggie Trek with Rick Ramos will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 23. The moderate hike goes for more than 4 miles to Round Valley along the Pacific Crest Trail in the Castle Peak area. Ramos, a naturalist, will lead the outing and point out interesting geological formations as well as the flora and fauna of the area. Dogs are welcome but must be kept on leash and get along with other dogs and people. There is a suggested donation of $12 for members, $17 for nonmembers for this hike.
To make reservations for either trek or for information, go to http://www.bearyubalandtrust.org or call (530) 272-5994, ext. 200.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Patti Bess: ‘A little patch of paradise’ at Sweet Roots Farm in Grass Valley
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Strawberry Music Festival returns with stellar line-up
- PG&E offers debris removal in tree death crisis
- Sierra Cinemas presents NT Live Edward Albee’s ‘Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?’
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier