For love of animals: Upcoming events with Bear Yuba Land Trust
October 8, 2012
The Bear Yuba Land Trust Treks will once again offer a Draft Horse Classic — Behind the Scene event from 4 to 9 p.m. Sept. 21. This trek is rated as easy and will be led by Eleanor Roberts, a former teamster, who travels from Missouri to participate as one of the announcers for the performances.
For many years, Roberts and her husband, Larry, had a beautiful Percheron hitch and exhibited at the Classic. She is a consummate horse woman and highly respected as a driver/teamster. She will lead a trek through the barns, introduce participants to the different draft horse breeds and their owners. She'll discuss harnessing, the equipment, what it takes to create a team of horses and more.
This trek costs $30 for land trust members, $35 for nonmembers. The fee includes reserved seating at the show that night.
Then Sept. 23, the land trust will host a trek with dogs. The Peter Grubb Hut/Round Valley Doggie Trek with Rick Ramos will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sept. 23. The moderate hike goes for more than 4 miles to Round Valley along the Pacific Crest Trail in the Castle Peak area. Ramos, a naturalist, will lead the outing and point out interesting geological formations as well as the flora and fauna of the area. Dogs are welcome but must be kept on leash and get along with other dogs and people. There is a suggested donation of $12 for members, $17 for nonmembers for this hike.
To make reservations for either trek or for information, go to http://www.bearyubalandtrust.org or call (530) 272-5994, ext. 200.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Activities and Events
- ’80s stalwarts The Psychedelic Furs coming to Grass Valley in July
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- NCTV Talk: Thru the Lens gala set for Del Oro Theatre
- Summer movies for kids begins June 14 at Del Oro Theatre in Grass Valley
- Bow-Tie Beauties Uncensored: Burlesque show at Miners Foundry
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Crews gain control of Grizzly Fire as dry, hot conditions continue in Nevada County