Flamenco del Oro to perform for Paella Friday at Old 5Mile House
October 4, 2012
Flamenco del Oro will perform from 6 to 9 p.m. Friday. Enjoy late summer/early autumn on the patio at Old 5Mile House with the sounds of traditional flamenco music and dance.
The band features local singer "La Leta" accompanied by the guitar works of Gopal Slavonic and dancers Anya Devi, Kelly Rivera and percussionist Roger Aiton.
Gopal Slavonic trained at the prestigious Fundación de Arte Flamenco Cristina Heeren in Sevilla, Spain where he studied intensively with leading flamenco guitarists Miguel Angel Cortez, Jose Postigo, Antonio Carmona, Eduardo Rollabar, Tino Van Der Sman, and Joselito Galvez.
In his 18 years of dedication to flamenco guitar, Gopal has returned to Spain to further his studies several times, most frequently to Jerez de la Frontera.
He has performed with flamenco artists, including Cerro Negro, La Fibi, Mark Taylor, La Carola, Roberto Zamora, Pilar Moreno and Jose Galvez.
Gopal recently released his second CD, "Dos Orillas," and is the featured guitarist for Northern California's Flamenco del Oro.
Leta is at heart a gypsy who has studied flamenco for 15 years in Spain and in the US with performers such as Rosa Montoya, Felix de la Isla, Jaime del Rio and Pilar Moreno, as well as received intensive training with gypsy teacher Josephine Dunne who shared this rare art with her as if she were a member of her family.
Leta blends her Middle Eastern and jazz background into her flamenco and the result is a sultry, intoxicating sound. Leta gets a lot of her inspiration from the many extremely talented artists and musicians she comes into contact with both locally and in her travels.
Old 5Mile House is located at 18851 State Highway 20 in Nevada City.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Activities and Events
- ’80s stalwarts The Psychedelic Furs coming to Grass Valley in July
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- NCTV Talk: Thru the Lens gala set for Del Oro Theatre
- Summer movies for kids begins June 14 at Del Oro Theatre in Grass Valley
- Bow-Tie Beauties Uncensored: Burlesque show at Miners Foundry
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Naked man walks into business and proposes to employee
- Fire devastates Burgee Dave’s at The Mayo in Camptonville
- ‘Family of the year’: Fowlers honored by the Nevada County Fair
- Nevada County authorities say Auburn man found with suspected heroin, meth
- Crews gain control of Grizzly Fire as dry, hot conditions continue in Nevada County