Elders return in support of KVMR
April 11, 2013
KVMR presents a special performance by The Elders at the Miners Foundry Cultural Center in downtown Nevada City Saturday as a benefit for Community Radio, KVMR. The local trio, The String Sisters, will open for The Elders at the VIP reception, where they will perform an acoustic set in traditional Irish pub style. There will be light h'ors d'ouvres and a complimentary drink with the VIP admission. Then local favorites, A Thousand Years at Sea, takes the stage in the Main Hall to open for the lively dance party with The Elders.
Since forming in 1998, The Elders have set the music scene on its ear, thanks to a skillful blend of American roots rock and amped-up Celtic folk; a cross-pollination of elements that is high-octane and progressive, yet rooted in tradition. It didn't take long to establish themselves as one of the top American Celtic-rock bands, headlining the biggest Celtic festivals in North America and Europe, and quickly gaining critical attention in prestigious publications such as PASTE Magazine, Music Row Magazine, Folk & Acoustic Music Exchange, Goldmine Magazine, TRAD Magazine (France), Chicago Sun-Times, Kansas City Star and many more.
Employing a variety of instruments including guitars, drums, banjo, accordion, mandolin, piano and fiddle, these six gentlemen collectively create music that transcends the stereotypical notion of Celtic music. Powerful four part harmonies, blazing instrumentals and song writing that is unaffected by fads, trends and the giant maw of mind-numbing commercialism.
"The key to the band's success is in its flawless blending of the Celtic storytelling tradition with contemporary instrumentation and, perhaps more importantly, their ability to write original songs that sound as timeless and authentic as the ancient jigs and reels that have inspired them." Brian Baker – PASTE MAGAZINE
KVMR Community Radio is a listener supported radio station and broadcasts from downtown Nevada City at 89.5FM in the Sierra Nevada foothills, 105.1FM in Truckee/Tahoe, 104.7FM in Woodland and worldwide at kvmr.org.
VIP tickets are $55 for general public, or $50 for KVMR members. Those who want to attend the dance party only pay $25 for general admission, or $20 for KVMR members.
Miners Foundry is located at 325 Spring St. in Nevada City.
For information, go to http://kvmr.org.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Patti Bess: ‘A little patch of paradise’ at Sweet Roots Farm in Grass Valley
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Sierra Master Chorale and Orchestra spring concerts orchestrated to ‘lift, renew’ spirits
- Sierra Cinemas presents NT Live Edward Albee’s ‘Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?’
- Comedian Kathy Griffin coming to Grass Valley in June
- Downtown Grass Valley police chase ends in creek, police say
- Driver rear-ends vehicle, flees scene of Highway 49 wreck, CHP says
- Man dies from NorCal gas station nacho-cheese dip
- Couple found dead in plane wreckage in Northern California
- Nevada County judge dismisses conviction against former Supervisor Terry Lamphier