Dance in 2014 with Boca do Rio
December 26, 2013
The Stonehouse will present the original, organic sound of San Francisco-based group Boca do Rio on New Year's Eve.
Boca do Rio, meaning "mouth of the river" in Portuguese, describes the place where myriad streams and sources converge into one powerful, flowing, physical energy.
Their music, they say, is inspired by the thousands of musicians and the music lovers who have gone before and laid the rhythmic foundations of samba, baião, samba-reggae, the dances for the orishas and all that give homage to the beats.
The band delivers a unique blend of pop hooks, pleasing vocal harmonies, funky rhythms and African percussion with contemporary beats on their EP "The Dam is Breaking" on Vagabundo Records.
Members include Kevin Welch (guitar, vocals), Alex Calatayud (pandeiro, percussion), Jon Evans (bass, guru), Larry De la Cruz (saxophone, percussion), Scott Johnson (drums, vocals), Eduardo Amado (bass), Jacob Aginsky (keys, laptop) and special guests Vince Lars, James Henry, Julie Wolf and Bob Crawford.
Boca do Rio will perform from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. at The Stonehouse, 107 Sacramento St., Nevada City.
For information, visit http://bocadorio.com. Only 21 and older allowed.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- For the love of animals: Find compassion in action at Animal Film Festival
- Commentary: Cars and coffee: a spontaneous showing of cars
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Swan Central: Sacramento Valley rice fields offer best winter waterfowl viewing in state
- 3rd annual Animal Film Festival comes to Grass Valley Saturday
- Grass Valley man found with 44 pounds of marijuana, authorities say
- Grass Valley police charge couple with torture, kidnapping
- Nevada County Public Health Department receives reports of mumps
- Nevada County child sex suspect scheduled to return to court next week
- THE UNION NOW: Live streaming from the newsroom