Curtain call this week for local holiday productions
December 20, 2013
The curtain is set to close on two local productions this week, so this is the community's last chance to get in the spirit of the season through local theater.
LeGacy Presents "A Christmas Carol" will wrap up Tuesday at the Nevada Theatre, and Sandra Rockman presents "Sonja Weissman and the Miracle Play," an original work by local playwright Robin Wallace, ends tomorrow at the Off Center Stage in Grass Valley.
Loosely based on Wallace's experience in a Quebec boarding school, "Sonja Weissman and the Miracle Play" is a historical piece set in 1946. Sonja Weissman, the title character, is a Polish refugee installed in this Episcopal school by guardians.
As rehearsals progress for the annual nativity play, Sonja's personal story affects the other girls in her dormitory. The play, and each girl's truth, ultimately brings them together in a more compassionate understanding of each other. There will be two performances tomorrow at 2 and 7 p.m. Tickets are available at http://thecenterforthe arts.org and at BriarPatch Coop or by calling 530-274-8384, ext. 14.
LeGacy Present's "A Christmas Carol" is an original script by Jeffrey Mason, based on the Charles Dickens' novella. Mason's wife, Susan Mason, directs. The production will run through Christmas Eve at the Nevada Theatre. Performances are at 8 p.m. today, 2 p.m. Sunday and a final show 2 p.m. Tuesday.
Tickets for "A Christmas Carol" are $18 in advance, $20 at the door and are available at The Book Seller, Harmony Books, by phone at 530-268-5419 or online at http://www.brownpaper tickets.com/event/496193. For more about the production, go to http://www.legacypresents.com/Legacy_Productions/Home.html.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- The Made in Tahoe Festival will be hosted at Squaw Valley on May 27-28, and celebrates all things Tahoe
- Patti Bess: ‘A little patch of paradise’ at Sweet Roots Farm in Grass Valley
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Denis Peirce: That’s how we troll — on Lake Almanor
- Organic farming going strong with next generation at Bakbraken Acres
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed