Community dinner planned for Oct. 3
September 17, 2013
Eat Local Placer and Nevada, an effort managed by the University of California Cooperative Extension is teaming up with Bierwagen's Donner Trail Fruit and the Happy Apple Kitchen in Chicago Park to host a community dinner Oct. 3.
"This is a chance for the community to come together and celebrate Nevada County's harvest," said Cindy Fake, Horticulture and Small Farms Advisor with UCCE. "Donner Trail Fruit is the perfect spot, and folks will get to sit down to dinner with the farmers who 'grew the meal'."
The project, which is funded by a grant from the California Department of Food and Agriculture's Specialty Crop Block Grant program, is designed to connect local consumers with local specialty crop growers.
In addition to the dinner, Donner Trail Fruit is also offering a farm tour. The complete schedule of activities for the Oct. 3 event is as follows:
— Farm Tour (limited to 30 participants), 4:30-5:30 p.m.
— Social hour with local wine tasting, 5-6 p.m.
— Dinner (featuring a locally inspired five-course meal), 6 p.m.
"The event is free, but we are encouraging folks to make a $10-per-person cash donation to help us provide farmers market vouchers through the Nevada County Food Bank," Fake said.
In addition, BriarPatch Co-op and Peaceful Valley Farm and Garden Supply are sponsoring the event.
To make reservations, go to http://ucanr.edu/nevcommunitydinner. For questions or information, call 530-889-7385.
For information on UCCE and for an updated schedule of project events, go to http://facebook.com/EatLocalPlacerAndNevada.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- The Made in Tahoe Festival will be hosted at Squaw Valley on May 27-28, and celebrates all things Tahoe
- Patti Bess: ‘A little patch of paradise’ at Sweet Roots Farm in Grass Valley
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Denis Peirce: That’s how we troll — on Lake Almanor
- Organic farming going strong with next generation at Bakbraken Acres
- Nevada County Police Blotter: Caller reports transients ‘humping’ in public
- Vehicle crashes into Grass Valley hair salon (VIDEO)
- Search continues for Jordan Rose, who went missing in November
- Toran Maronic beat the odds, now he’s making the most of his second chance
- Randy Hansen, facing child sex accusations, wants search warrant quashed