Command performance highlights composers
October 23, 2013
Command performance is defined as a performance of a concert, opera, ballet or the like given at the request of a sovereign or head of state.
This year's Nevada County Composers Command Performance Benefit at 4 p.m. Sunday is presented for people of equal importance: Nevada County residents.
It features two local classical composers, Jerry Grant and Mark Vance, as well as works of young composers from the Music in the Mountains Young Composers Project.
Keaton Hild, Jake Collins, Jesse Haennelt and Chandan Kushler use the venue for a second hearing of a work. Mark Vance's "Three Sweet Dreams for a Little Boy" for clarinet and piano will be performed by Tom Rose, clarinet, and Lynn Schugren, piano, as well as Vance's "Flow My Tears" for soprano and piano, featuring soprano Carrie Hennessey and the composer at the piano.
A newly revised string quartet, "Polarities on 4 strings" by composer Jerry Grant, is featured as well as his "Celsius 961" for solo flute with flutist Kirsti Powell performing.
In the young composers portion, Keaton Hild's "Please Don't" for soprano and piano is presented with Carrie Hennessy soprano and Joan Tumilty piano.
Jake Collins' "Beginning the End," written for piano quintet (string quartet and piano), was inspired by many changes throughout the past year.
"This composition really became my outlet to express how I felt," Collins said.
Also featured are Jesse Haennelt's "Palace at War and Aftermath" for string quartet and Chandan Kushler's "Etude" for piano with Joan Tumilty at the piano.
Superb musicians of the string quartet include Franklyn D'Antonio and Kristen Autry, violins, Melinda Rayne, viola, and Jia-mo Chen, cello.
The eclectic palette of works will be accompanied by a light supper, wine, hors d'oeuvres and a dessert, presented in a private residence.
Reservations are a must. Please call 530-478-0983. Tickets are $50, and proceeds benefit the composers group, which helps community composers write music and get it performed. For information, visit, http:// composerscooperative.org.
Trending In: Activities and Events
- Sierra Master Chorale and Orchestra spring concerts orchestrated to ‘lift, renew’ spirits
- Sierra Cinemas presents NT Live Edward Albee’s ‘Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?’
- Kid-friendly summer camps in Nevada County area
- Blue Lake: a not-so-hidden gem in the Tahoe forest (VIDEO)
- ’80s stalwarts The Psychedelic Furs coming to Grass Valley in July
- Chicago men found with almost 30 lbs of pot near Truckee, CHP says
- Lawsuit filed against Nevada County alleges wrongful jail death
- Could tiny houses fix a huge problem?: Homeless advocates respond to Nevada County’s plan
- Nevada Union student with special needs joins his classmates at Senior Ball
- Squeaky clean: Nevada County man launched own window washing business at 18, still growing five years later